New Scientific research continues to unmask the effects of chronic sleeplessness, and the results are enough to keep you up at night! Here are four of the most devastating effects, courtesy of the American Heart Association:
1) Sleep Loss can lead to diabetes. A recent study shows that “people who sleep less than six hours a night appear to have a higher risk of developing impaired fasting glucose — a condition that can precede type 2 diabetes.”
2) Sleep Loss can reaise your blood pressure. Another recent study found that a lost hour of sleep — one hour less than the recommended eight — increased the odds of developing high blood pressure and average of 37% over five years; skipping two hours raised the blood pressure risk 86%. this condition can lead to heart attack, stroke or kidney failure.
3) Sleep loss can make you fat. Several recent studies have confirmed that there is a link between lost sleep and weight gain. In one study, participants who slept six hours per night were 27% more likely to become obese than those sleeping seven to nine hours; people getting five hours of sleep per night were 73% more likely to become obese; and those with only two to four hours of sleep per night were 67% more likely to become obese.
4) Sleep loss can make you vulnerable to cancer. Yet another recent study showed that even when people take preventative actions that have been proven to lower cancer risks (such as exercising and eating right), inadequate sleep seems to counteract those benefits.
More research is underway on these and other health risks associated with cheating on sleep. Meanwhile, you might want to alert your family, friends and neighbors: Don’t shirk on the shut-eye.
It always seemed like my parents had a better mattress than me. Well, FloBed parents do not make the same mistake. Here is some great news: we sell a version of your mattress that is perfect for your kids! The Student Mattress features two layers of Talalay Latex to make a 6″ mattress. We use our same Euro Stretch knit organic cotton that we use in all our natural latex mattresses. For students we quilted needled wool on all sides to provide a cool Tite-Top surface that breathes and wicks away moisture. And since wool is naturally fire resistant, we don’t have to add chemicals or artificial barriers to meet the Federal Flame Resistant Standard. We use blems, minor defects or laminated cores to create the highly affordable Student Mattress. Per special request, we can make a student mattress out of first quality cores for $100 more. No more excuses. Nothing but bright-eyed and bushy-tailed smiling students every morning. Ok, maybe we won’t guarantee that, but you know we can guarantee the rest you & your students need!
Many people who work in offices sit at desks for 8 hours! This can cause back pain. The yoga instructor featured in the video below is named Jake and he says, “Back pain is an epidemic in America. And the pain is accentuated by our desk culture and the use of mobile devices.” (Yoga With Jake: 10-Minute Yoga Routine to Ease Back Pain) So if Jake was describing you, or if you are looking for a good stretch take a look at the video below.
Have you ever stoped to think what your ideal day would look like? People are different, so do not force yourself to adhere to the typical daily routine. If you work a 9-5 job you will have to work around those times but you can still figure out what works best for you.
Important to keep in mind: -Don’t forget to take breaks when you work -Exercise matters -Step out side for some fresh air
Many of our customers come to us looking for an all natural/ chemical free mattress option. We spend one-third of our lives asleep in our bedrooms, so here are some tips to create a healthy, non-toxic space:
1. Sleep on an all natural latex mattress from FloBeds. Our Organic Mattresses feature premium 100% Natural Talalay latex inside a luxurious organic euro knit cotton quilted to organic wool for a chemical free mattress.
2. Use solid wood furniture- like our Pine Slat foundation. Engineered to be put together with 8 wing-nuts, this strong foundation is constructed of solid wood sides and 3-1/2″ pine slats to provide a firm surface with air circulation for your latex mattress.
3. Use organic cotton sheets. Most cotton is grown using harmful pesticides and fertilizers, so make sure you go with an organic option.
Have the leading brand name mattresses companies invented a new way to build a bed? In a word, no. They are working hard to provide more of the same: bigger beds that require different sheets, sometimes even different headboards. Yet still they are using the same spring construction, with more layers polyurethane foam. Sometimes they add a layer of latex. But in order to keep profits up, you will usually find lots of poly-foam going by the name super-soft foam, upholstery layer, extra plush pillow top
Polyurethane foam, or poly-foam, is a petroleum product designed to imitate latex derived from the rubber tree (foam rubber). It weighs about one fourth the weight of latex, and lasts about one fourth as long (3-5 years instead of 20 years for Talatech Latex). Poly-foam is like a sponge. Because of its open cell structure, every time you move on your bed you are sucking into the bed dust, moisture, old skin, pollens and whatever is in the air. Wool and latex don’t do this.
Innersprings do not have the issues that polyurethane foam does. They can be gauged to different firmnesses. Probably the best thing going for them are they are incredibly inexpensive compared to natural Talalay latex, but do not last as long without losing their ability to support.
The FloBeds Talalay Latex Mattress
Natural Talalay latex is naturally conforming and supportive. The FloBed invention allows you to change the firmness on either side of your 100% natural latex mattress anytime for the 20 year life of the mattress.
We don’t use any poly-foam for added plushness in our beds. Instead, we use wool. Naturally better. Our covers are not as “fluffy” as the “high-profile” mattresses sold in many stores, just better. Our covers unzip, so you can easily hang your mattress-top in the sun. We suggest sunning your mattress-top a couple of times a year. Sunning will kill dust mites. Latex is dust mite resistant. If you suffer from severe allergies, with the top off, you can vacuum your mattress components to remove allergens. That, combined with your sunned mattress top will provide you with the cleanest and most comfortable mattress possible.
Here is a little thank you note we got from one of our customers Dr. Lago- “As an orthopedic surgeon, I have seen many patients who have been adversely affected by an uncomfortable bed. The obliteration of pressure points has been a major result. Motion on either side of the bed goes un-noticed with FloBed. The old days when I awoke with a low backache are gone.” FloBeds latex mattresses are adjustable for the 20 year life of the mattress.
Admiral McRaven, a Navy Seal, gave a new meaning to making your bed every morning. He states that, “If you make your bed every morning, you will have accomplished the first task of the day. It will give you a small sense of pride, and it will encourage you to do another task, and another. And by the end of the day, that one task completed will have turned into many tasks completed.” Watch the video below to hear more on his philosophy: if you want to change the world, start off by making your bed.
And then there is Making Your FloBed… creating your personalized natural latex mattress. But that’s a little off the Admiral’s message.
Have you ever taken a second to stop and think about what you are sleeping on? If you have a FloBed you have nothing to worry about, however, not all mattresses are made with the same materials that we use. You spend a third of your life in bed… consider what you’re sleeping on. We were the first to use wool to pass the federal fire standards for mattresses, making our covers chemical free. Organic Cotton is obvious… but we even wash it before quilting it to our organic wool. We even use solid Ponderosa Pine for our slat foundations. The Pine slat foundations are FCS certified of course.
FloBeds is Okeo-Tex certified. Okeo-Tex is the world leader in testing for human safety in textiles. People spend about a third of their lives in bed. We want to make sure that third of your life is not only comfortable but chemical free.