What Are Talalay Latex Pillows?
Talalay pillows are a better option than standard bed pillows because they are more breathable, comfortable and long-lasting.
The Talalay method of manufacturing latex is superior to the more common Dunlop process, which whips the latex in a centrifuge and then pours it into a mold. In the Dunlop method, the latex mixture settles, and the bottom layers are denser.
In the Talalay process, the mold is partially filled with latex and then vacuumed, expanding the mixture, which is frozen at -20°F. This method creates latex with a more uniform, less dense consistency, making our shredded latex pillows more comfortable and durable.
What Are the Benefits of Talalay Latex Pillows?
FloBeds’ natural latex foam pillows offer significant advantages over “regular” pillows. With Talalay latex pillows, you’re able to adjust the amount of foam, providing just the right amount of support for a good night’s sleep.
Talalay pillows and pillow covers are organic and don’t contain pesticides, herbicides or volatile organic compounds, which have been linked to fatigue, throat and skin irritation and other conditions.
Because they’re made of natural latex foam, Talalay pillows are inherently hypoallergenic and resistant to microbes, mildew and dust mites. They also help maintain the perfect sleeping temperature.
Natural latex foam is also preferable over synthetic latex. Unlike its synthetic counterpart, natural latex is durable and odor-free.
Can You Wash Latex Pillows?
The short answer is yes, you can wash a latex pillow. But you don’t want to throw it in the washing machine or dryer.
You also want to avoid soaking your pillow in water and exposing it to direct sunlight. Other actions to avoid include twisting, wringing, scrunching or stretching your pillow. With the proper care, you can get years of use out of your Talalay latex pillows.
Steps for How to Clean Latex Pillows
Spot cleaning is the best answer to how to wash latex pillows. You’ll want to follow these steps to safely and thoroughly clean your Talalay latex pillows:
- Remove the pillow case — This can be machine washed according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Fill a tub or sink with water — Use lukewarm water for best results.
- Add a mild detergent — Figure on one teaspoon of detergent per gallon of water.
- Soak a clean towel in the mixture — Make sure to wring it dry before moving on to the next step.
- Carefully blot stains — Work from the outside of the stain in and move to a clean section of the towel as it absorbs the stain.
- Dry with clean towels — Lay a clean towel on each side of the pillow and apply gentle pressure to absorb excess water.
- Air dry — Place the pillow indoors out of direct sunlight to completely dry. You can use a fan to speed the drying process.
- Replace the pillow case — Once the pillow is completely dry, put on a clean pillow case, and you’re good to go.
How to Freshen Your Talalay Latex Pillows
Sometimes a complete wash and dry aren’t necessary. In these cases, you can try refreshing your shredded latex pillows using the following process:
- Remove and wash the pillow case
- Sprinkle baking soda over the entire pillow, making sure to cover it well
- Let the baking soda sit for at least an hour
- Use the upholstery brush on your vacuum to vacuum up the baking soda
- Turn the pillow over and repeat the process
How to Care for Latex Pillows
Knowing how to care for latex pillows can extend their useful life. Make sure to avoid excess moisture around your natural latex foam pillows. Quickly dry any spills that may occur.
You’ll want to use a breathable, organic pillow case and wash it regularly.