How to Drain a Waterbed
It’s inevitable for every waterbed owner — at some point, you have to know how to drain a waterbed. Since waterbeds are filled tight with water, they can’t be moved and transported like typical mattresses. While this can be an ordeal, we’ve got some easy steps to make draining a waterbed as frustration-free as possible.
Before you pull your waterbed drain plug, you’ll want to make sure you have these tools on hand:
- Hose extension
Once you’ve gathered those, you’re ready to learn how to empty a waterbed so you can take it wherever it needs to go.
How Do You Drain a Waterbed?
Follow these easy steps to drain your waterbed properly:
- Unplug the heater before draining the waterbed for your safety.
- Put a towel by the valve and burp all the air out of the mattress.
- Burp out the air again! It’s crucial to remove all the air.
- Put the cap back on the mattress to keep air from going in.
- Put the hose extension on the end of the hose.
- If you’re doing an upstairs waterbed drain, coil the hose and bring it to the bedroom, then open a window, lower out the end of the hose that connects to the faucet and point the hose outside.
- Connect the hose to a faucet outside.
- Run water until the hose stops spurting, meaning all the air is out.
- Turn off the hose, but leave it connected.
- Take the hose extension through the window to the waterbed, open the valve and insert the extension into the mattress.
- Catch any spilled water with your towels.
- Disconnect the hose from the outside faucet and take it to the lowest spot in the yard it will reach.
- Relax — your drained waterbed will be vacuum-packed.
Tired of Draining Waterbed Mattresses? Discover a Better Way to Sleep.
Trust us — we understand the appeal of waterbeds. After all, we were in the waterbed business before we designed a better way to get a great night’s sleep. Before you have to figure out how to drain a waterbed again, consider switching to a 100% natural latex mattress from FloBeds. When you shop latex mattresses with us, you’ll be able to customize your bed to get exactly the kind of rest you need. And, with our 100-day money-back guarantee, what do you have to lose? Make draining a waterbed a thing of the past, and get the latex mattress of your dreams today!